Electrical and Computer Engineering
Master of Engineering - Software (MEng Soft)
This high-impact program enables you to complete your degree in as little as eight months – the fastest graduate degree we offer. This MEng in software engineering will equip you with the programming knowledge you need to advance your career in an increasingly digitized engineering environment. Preparation courses are built in to the program if you have no software engineering background. This one-term “boot camp” gets you up to speed before you start the core degree courses. If this is your situation, you will complete your degree in 12 months, taking three preparation courses and 10 core courses over three terms. If you already have a software engineering undergrad, or electrical engineering undergrad with a minor in computer engineering, you could complete the 10 core courses over two terms. We designed this expedited program to meet a high market demand for software engineering expertise, as a result, it requires a full-time commitment.
For those interested in part-time MEng studies, consider our regular course-based electrical and computer engineering option.
Completing this program
- Preparation courses: For engineers with no software engineering background, three courses make up a boot-camp style semester to update your programming skills and knowledge.
- Core courses: 10 courses are required to complete this degree. Core topics include: Agile Software Engineering, Software Release Planning, Software Engineering Standards and Models, Advanced Software Testing, Automated Software Engineering and more. Two of the 10 courses are a team design project.
- General engineering courses: Students may select up to two general engineering courses as part of the 10 courses required. Topics include innovation and entrepreneurship, ethics, law and the engineering profession, project management and engineering tools.
Software engineer in public and private sectors, consulting industry or management.
A course-based master’s degree in electrical engineering is usually considered a final degree.
A minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
A four-year baccalaureate degree in engineering, or an equivalent degree, from a recognized institution.
One official copy of your final transcript (and degree certificate if degree is not clearly stated on transcript) in a signed, sealed envelope from the institution attended. Unofficial transcripts can be uploaded to the online application for initial evaluation purposes. Admission offers, however, are conditional upon receipt of official transcripts.
- Official transcripts can be mailed to us directly from the institution, or they can be mailed to you directly and you can send them to us yourself
- We will not accept unsealed official transcripts as official
English language proficiency (ELP)
An applicant whose primary language is not English may fulfill the English language proficiency requirement in one of the following ways:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT including TOEFL iBT Home Edition) minimum score of 86 (Internet-based, with no section less than 20).
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5 (with no section less than 6.0).
- Cambridge C1 Advanced or Cambridge C2 Proficiency minimum score of 180.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 59 or higher
- Canadian Academic English Language test (CAEL) overall score of 70 (no section less than 60).
- Academic Communication Certificate (ACC) minimum of B+ in each course.
- Duolingo English Test obtaining a minimum score of 125 (with no sub-score below 105). (temporary until Fall 2024 intake)
We make offers to qualified applicants on a rolling basis – as they come in. That means our high-demand programs can fill up well in advance of the application deadline.
Don’t wait to apply. If you are interested in this program, apply early.
For admission on September 1:
- March 1 application deadline
If you're not a Canadian or permanent resident, or if you have international credentials, make sure to learn about international requirements
Learn more about this program
If you're interested in this program, you might want to explore other UCalgary programs.