International students

With one of Canada's highest international enrolment rates, UCalgary is a top choice graduate education.

Welcome to the University of Calgary!

The University of Calgary is a world-class university that inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. In addition to working with some of the best minds in your field, you will have access to workshops and services dedicated to your academic and professional development, ensuring that you have the best student experience possible. And you get to live in Canada's most enterprising city!

If you are thinking of working with an agent, please note that only applications made through the official UCalgary web application will be considered for admission. If successful, an offer will be sent directly to you from the university and made available in the Student Centre. The university does not release admission information to third parties, including agents. To accept your admission, you will need to log in to the Student Centre with an eID, a personalized unique ID for electronic access.

Before you apply

To be considered for admission to your graduate program, you must meet the admission requirements set out by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and by your graduate program of interest.

English language proficiency (ELP)

The Faculty of Graduate Studies sets minimum requirements for ELP in the Graduate Calendar. Please note that some graduate programs have ELP requirements that are more rigorous than the minimum requirements set by the Faculty of Graduate Studies.

A Graduate Program Director may exempt an applicant whose first language is not English from the ELP requirement if they meet the following criteria:

The student has completed

  • a Bachelor’s Degree (minimum of 3 years in length), or  
  • a Graduate Degree

in an institution where the language of instruction and examination is English. If the institution has multiple languages of instruction, the Graduate Program Director may ask for confirmation of the language of instruction for your degree.

Eligible institutions must be listed as providing English language instruction in the World Higher Education Database (WHED). Please remember, even if you have a degree from an institution included on this list, exemption from ELP requirements remain at the discretion of Graduate Program Directors

International admission requirements

If you completed your previous studies in a country other than Canada, you will need to look up the grade equivalency for your country.

Choose the continent from this list, then the country where you received your previous degree(s).

Learn more about UCalgary graduate programs at a graduate recruitment event

Supports and resources for international graduate students


UCalgary Welcome Centre

Contact the Welcome Centre before you arrive and get help with your transition.

Liliana helps a student

International Student Services

Meet friends and colleagues, and get support during your graduate program.

Welcome sign

Information about immigration

For information on obtaining a study permit, please contact the university's International Student Specialist.

Jaya helping a student

Academic support for graduate students

The Faculty of Graduate Studies has a team of Graduate Academic and International Specialists to help you succeed in your program. 

Learn more

Ready for graduate studies at UCalgary? Explore programs