In the heart of Canada's energy capital, our Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law program is recognized by LLM Guide as one of the top 10 energy law programs in the world. The Certificate will give practicing lawyers an in-depth understanding of the legal aspects of the transition to a low-carbon economy, mining law, renewable energy law, water law, environmental ethics and much more.
Our Faculty of Law includes an endowed chair in natural resources law and a library with strong holdings in energy and environmental law. These resources are rounded out with our work with the Canadian Institute of Resources Law, one of the leading centres of expertise on legal and trade issues affecting our nation’s natural resources.
Completing this program
Courses: Students will complete four courses (including at least one with a research paper) in the area of natural resources, energy or environmental law or a related area.
Private practice, in house counsel, government, regulatory bodies and non-government organizations in the specialty area.
A course-based certificate in natural resources, energy and environmental law is usually considered a final degree.
A minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
A law degree
English language proficiency
An applicant whose primary language is not English may fulfill the English language proficiency requirement in one of the following ways:
- TOEFL score of 97 (Internet-based) with reading, writing and listening components totalling at least 75. Our institution code is 0813
- IELTS score of 7.0 with reading and writing both scoring at least 7.0 (Academic version)
- MELAB score of 83, or higher
- PTE score of 68, or higher (Academic version)
- Tier 3 of the International Foundations Program with minimum grades of B,B,B (Writing & Grammar, Reading Comprehension, Listening Comprehension & Oral Fluency)
For admission on September 1:
- Canadians and permanent residents: Apr. 30 application deadline
- International students: Apr. 30 application deadline
For admission on January 1:
- Canadians and permanent residents: Jul. 15 application deadline
- International students: Jul. 15 application deadline