If you’re interested in advancing your career, the MEng in Electrical and Computer Engineering is an effective way to get there. This program is ideal for students who aspire to gain more knowledge beyond their bachelor’s degree. The program can often be completed in one to two years of full-time study. Part time options are available. You’ll find yourself part of a vibrant learning community, being mentored by academics who are focused on teaching you how to find practical solutions to real-world problems. As a purely course-based professional degree, the program prepares you for career advancement in companies across any sector. You’ll be equipped to help your company find increasingly digitized engineering solutions.
Completing this program
- Courses: 10 courses are required to complete this degree. Students can combine courses around the theme of sustainable electrical energy.
Depending on your focus, you could work as an electrical engineer, software engineer or computer engineer.
A course-based master’s degree in electrical and software engineering is usually considered a final degree.
A minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
A four-year baccalaureate degree in electrical and/or computer engineering, or an equivalent degree, from a recognized institution.
One official copy of your final transcript (and degree certificate if degree is not clearly stated on transcript) in a signed, sealed envelope from the institution attended. Unofficial transcripts can be uploaded to the online application for initial evaluation purposes. Admission offers, however, are conditional upon receipt of official transcripts.
- Official transcripts can be mailed to us directly from the institution, or they can be mailed to you directly and you can send them to us yourself
- We will not accept unsealed official transcripts as official
English language proficiency (ELP)
An applicant whose primary language is not English may fulfill the English language proficiency requirement in one of the following ways:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL ibt) Minimum score of 97 (Internet-based).
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 7.0.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 68, or higher
- Canadian Academic English Language test (CAEL) Overall score of 70 (no less than 70 on reading and writing sections)
- Academic Communication Certificate (ACC) Minimum of A-
We make offers to qualified applicants on a rolling basis – as they come in. That means our high-demand programs can fill up well in advance of the application deadline.
Don’t wait to apply. If you are interested in this program, apply early.
For admission on September 1:
- January 1 application deadline
Learn more about this program
If you're interested in this program, you might want to explore other UCalgary programs.