Studying at another university

As a graduate student at the University of Calgary, you may wish to take a course offered at another institution to be used as credit towards your University of Calgary degree.

Exchange students

If you wish to take a course offered at another institution to be used as credit towards your University of Calgary degree, or to conduct research at another institution that pertains to your degree, you must first obtain approval from your program and the Faculty of Graduate Studies.

If the university you wish to attend does not have an exchange agreement with UCalgary, you will require a Letter of Permission from your graduate program and the program at the other institution.

Transfer credit

Students registered in a graduate degree program at the University of Calgary may receive a credit for courses taken at other recognized institutions.

Courses for which transfer credit is sought must be:

  • from a recognized institution and not have been used for any degree or diploma accreditation
  • graduate level courses, with a graded level of performance equivalent to a “B” or higher standing on the University of Calgary grade scale

Receiving credit for courses completed elsewhere

Students must arrange for official transcripts showing the courses taken and the grades achieved, to be sent directly from the other institution to the Faculty of Graduate Studies at the University of Calgary.

Note: Transfer credit and any advanced credit received upon entrance to the program, combined, may not exceed one third of the program or two full-course equivalents (whichever is less).

Joint Thesis-based Degrees

Thesis students may be interested in learning about the University of Calgary's joint thesis-based degree program.

Western Dean's Agreement

The agreement allows University of Calgary students to take courses at selected Western Canadian Universities while paying University of Calgary tuition.

As a registered graduate student you may apply for student status at a university listed here by completing the Western Deans' Agreement authorization form and obtaining the approval of your Graduate Program Director and the Faculty of Graduate Studies. You also require approval from the Graduate Department /Program and Faculty of Graduate Studies at the institute you wish to attend.


If you are a University of Calgary student going to another university under the Western Dean's Agreement, you pay tuition and general fees at the University of Calgary and applicable general fees at the host institution. Contact the host university for information on their fees.

You are also responsible for arranging for an official transcript to be sent from the host institution back to the University of Calgary when your course(s) at the host university are completed.

Application due dates vary at each institution, but must be received at the university you wish to attend at least two weeks before the course start date.

*Check with the host university to confirm application due dates.

If you are a student from another university

For students visiting the University of Calgary under the Western Dean's Agreement: apply a minimum of two weeks in advance of the start of the course.

Host universities

  • Athabasca University
  • University of Alberta
  • Brandon University
  • University of British Columbia
  • British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
  • University of Calgary
  • Concordia University College of Alberta
  • University of Lethbridge
  • University of Manitoba
  • University of Northern British Columbia
  • University of Regina
  • Royal Roads University
  • University of Saskatchewan
  • Simon Fraser University
  • University of Victoria