Our MEng in civil engineering offers exciting opportunities to grow your technical knowledge and provide you with a competitive advantage in pursuing a civil engineering career. Our revised program gives students the flexibility of enhancing their skills in focused areas that help address the civil engineering challenges of today and tomorrow. This program is designed to be completed in two years of full-time study, although part-time options are available. Our MEng program requires the completion of 10 courses that have been specifically developed to align with one of three focus areas. Completion of a MEng graduate degree in civil engineering will give you an advantage in pursuing a career in various civil engineering sectors, such as engineering consultancy, project management and construction, sustainability and technology, government and policy makers, NGOs, resource industries and public utilities, railroads, manufacturing and more.
Completing this program
Two options are available within our MEng program, each of which require completion of 10 courses:
1. MEng in Civil Engineering
- 6 core courses are required
- 3 thematic courses are required
- 1 option course is required
2. MEng in Civil Engineering Project Management Specialization
- 4 core courses are required
- 6 project management courses are required
Upon successful completion of the MEng in Civil Engineering graduates will have a balance of the fundamental knowledge and practical skills required to work in civil engineering in Canada, and worldwide. Eighty-three per cent of Alberta’s civil engineers work in professional, scientific or technical services, public works or construction.
A course-based master’s degree in civil engineering is usually considered a final degree.
A minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
A four year BEng or BSc degree in Science, Medicine, Kinesiology, or other Engineering from a recognized institution.
One official copy of your final transcript (and degree certificate if degree is not clearly stated on transcript) in signed, sealed envelope from institution attended. Unofficial transcripts can be uploaded to the online application for initial evaluation purposes. Admission offers, however, are conditional upon receipt of official transcripts.
- Official transcripts can be mailed to us directly from the institution, or they can be mailed to you directly and you can send them to us yourself
- We will not accept unsealed official transcripts as official
English language proficiency (ELP)
An applicant whose primary language is not English may fulfill the English language proficiency requirement in one of the following ways:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL ibt) Minimum score of 97 (Internet-based).
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 7.0.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 68, or higher
- Canadian Academic English Language test (CAEL) Overall score of 70 (no less than 70 on reading and writing sections)
- Academic Communication Certificate (ACC) Minimum of A-
We make offers to qualified applicants on a rolling basis – as they come in. That means our high-demand programs can fill up well in advance of the application deadline.
Don’t wait to apply. If you are interested in this program, apply early.
For admission on September 1:
- January 1 application deadline
Learn more about this program
If you're interested in this program, you might want to explore other UCalgary programs.