This course based degree is designed for students who wish to gain advanced theoretical and practical skills in exercise physiology to prepare them for careers in chronic disease management, health and wellness programs, occupational evaluation, and high performance sport.
The program involves extensive hands-on learning components, as well as integrative practicum placements.
Students who successfully complete this degree are able to take the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology’s certified exercise physiologist (CSEP-CEP) exam.
Completing this program
- Courses: Topics include nutrition for performance, exercise physiology, muscle mechanics, sport psychology, training strategies and more.
- Capstone Event: Students will perform a final oral presentation in conjunction with the Seminar in Applied Exercise Physiology (III).
- Applied Exercise Physiology
Exercise Physiologist, Coach, Kinesiologist, Teacher, Personal Trainer, Strength and Conditioning Trainer/Coach, Exercise Specialist, Access to a variety of healthcare programs (eg. Medicine, Nursing, Social Work, Physiotherapy, Athletic Therapy).
A course-based master’s degree in kinesiology is usually considered a final degree.
A minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
A four-year baccalaureate degree with a minimum grade of "B" or 3.00 in each of the following undergraduate prerequisite courses (or equivalents): Anatomy, Exercise Physiology, Biomechanics, Exercise and Sport Psychology, Statistics
(Optional) A CV with demonstrated ability to be self-motivated and capable of independent study as shown in undergraduate studies, volunteer work and/or work experience in exercise science areas will be considered.
English language proficiency (ELP)
An applicant whose primary language is not English may fulfill the English language proficiency requirement in one of the following ways:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL ibt) Minimum score of 97 (Internet-based).
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 7.0.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 68, or higher
- Canadian Academic English Language test (CAEL) Overall score of 70 (no less than 70 on reading and writing sections)
- Academic Communication Certificate (ACC) Minimum of A-
For admission on September 1:
- Canadians and permanent residents: Mar. 1 application deadline
- International students: Mar. 1 application deadline
Learn more about this program
If you're interested in this program, you might want to explore other UCalgary programs.