Through course and laboratory instruction plus a paid three-month Summer Practicum, students in the 12 month Master of Biomedical Technology program will be able to bridge from the academic to the corporate world. Students are exposed to a broad range of biotechnology and business concepts, along with cutting-edge technology. With mentorship and instruction from entrepreneurs, faculty, alumni and industry leaders, students acquire a tool kit of the technical and soft skills, knowledge and experience needed to directly enter a variety of career paths, including the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, along with biomedical, financial, regulatory or governmental careers. The MBT can be completed in combination with the course-based Master of Business Administration.
Completing this program
- Courses: Topics include biotechnology business aspects, integrated systems, clinical trials and biomanufacturing, bioinformatics and more.
- Research Ethics: Students are required to attend Research Integrity Day sessions during their time in the program.
Biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, start-ups, medical devices, clinical trials, regulatory affairs, sales and marketing, research and development, patent rights, licensing, project management, corporate leadership.
A course-based master’s degree in biomedical technology is usually considered a final degree.
A minimum of 3.3 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
A BSc in Biological Science or equivalent.
- A current C.V.
- A Vision Statement (no more than one page) outlining career goals and how the MBT program will help achieve them
English language proficiency
An applicant whose primary language is not English may fulfill the English language proficiency requirement in one of the following ways:
- TOEFL score of 105 (Internet-based). Our institution code is 0813.
- IELTS score of 7.5 (Academic version).
- MELAB score of 86, or higher.
- PTE score of 75, or higher (Academic version).
- Tier 3 of the International Foundations Program with minimum grades of A,A,A (Writing & Grammar, Reading Comprehension, Listening Comprehension & Oral Fluency)
For admission on September 1:
- Canadians and permanent residents: May 1 application deadline
- International students: May 1 application deadline
Learn more about this program
Cumming School of Medicine
Health Sciences Centre
Foothills Campus, University of Calgary
Calgary, ABT2N 4N1