A minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the Law degree. To be competitive, applicants will generally have GPAs considerably above the minimum.
International applicants should visit this website to determine whether or not their GPAs meet program minima.
Ordinarily, a JD, LLB or equivalent degree in law.
- A C.V.
- Writing Sample: Should be approximately 10-30 pages long. It must be your own original writing. It should be reasoned scholarly or professional work that serves to demonstrate to a committee of professors that you have a well-developed capacity for writing, analysis and research. It may be published or unpublished. Do not submit writing that you co-authored with someone else: application files relying on co-authored work will be treated as incomplete. Be prepared to explain in your application the circumstances under which you wrote it. Do not submit any material that is confidential or to which others might have claims of privilege, e.g. confidential or privileged memoranda prepared for clients or employers.
- Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions that you have attended, including any that you may currently be attending. Information about transcripts is available HERE
English language proficiency (ELP)
An applicant whose primary language is not English may fulfill the English language proficiency requirement in one of the following ways:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL ibt) score of 97 (minimum of 25 on the reading and writing components).
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 7.0 (minimum of 6.5 in each section and a reading and writing band minimum of 7.0).
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 68, or higher (Academic version).
- Canadian Academic English Language test (CAEL) score of 70 (minimum score of 70 on writing and reading sections and 60 in all other sections).
- Academic Communication Certificate (ACC) score of A- in the Academic Writing and Composition course, a minimum grade of “A-” in the Research Writing and Form course, and a minimum grade of “B+” in all other courses.
- Cambridge C1 Advanced or Cambridge C2 Proficiency minimum score of 191.
- Duolingo English Test and obtaining a minimum score of 135* (with no sub-score below 115*). (temporary until Fall 2024 intake).
*Please contact your program of interest if you have any questions about ELP requirements
If you're interested in this program, you might want to explore other UCalgary programs.