The MEng in Environmental Engineering gives you a competitive advantage, taking your education beyond your four-year bachelor’s degree and preparing you for advanced career opportunities. This program is often completed in one to two years of full-time study, and part-time options are available.
Expand your career opportunities in the areas of environmental sustainability, waste management, water quality, air quality, site assessment and reclamation, natural resource management, and energy.
Completing this program
Courses: 10 courses are required to complete this degree, four of which are core engineering courses in engineering tools, sustainability engineering, climate change adaptation, and ethics, law, and the engineering profession The balance may be selected from topics such as:
- Principles of Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Chemistry and Microbiology
- Air Pollution Control Mitigation
- Contaminated Soil Remediation
- Wastewater Issues for the Oil and Gas Industry
- Life Cycle Assessment, and more
Upon successful completion of the professional MEng program in environmental engineering, graduates will have gained advanced scientific and engineering knowledge that will prepare them to work in the areas of environmental sustainability, waste management, water quality, air quality, site assessment and reclamation, natural resource management, and energy.
A course-based master’s degree in environmental engineering is usually considered a final degree.
A minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 point system.
A four-year baccalaureate degree in engineering from a recognized institution. Consideration is also given to applicants with a four-year science degree in a relevant field from a recognized institution.
We require one official copy of your final transcript (and a degree certificate if the degree is not clearly stated on the transcript) in a signed, sealed envelope from the institution attended. Unofficial transcripts can be uploaded to the online application for initial evaluation purposes. Admission offers, however, are conditional upon receipt of official transcripts.
- Official transcripts can be mailed to us directly from the institution, or they can be mailed to you directly and you can send them to us yourself.
- We will not accept unsealed official transcripts as official.
English language proficiency (ELP)
An applicant whose primary language is not English may fulfill the English language proficiency requirement in one of the following ways:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT including TOEFL iBT Home Edition) minimum score of 86 (Internet-based, with no section less than 20).
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5 (with no section less than 6.0).
- Cambridge C1 Advanced or Cambridge C2 Proficiency minimum score of 180.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 59 or higher
- Canadian Academic English Language test (CAEL) overall score of 70 (no section less than 60).
- Academic Communication Certificate (ACC) minimum of B+ in each course.
- Duolingo English Test obtaining a minimum score of 125 (with no sub-score below 105). (temporary until Fall 2024 intake)
We make offers to qualified applicants on a rolling basis – as they come in. That means our high-demand programs can fill up well in advance of the application deadline.
Don’t wait to apply. If you are interested in this program, apply early.
For admission on September 1:
- March 1 application deadline
If you're not a Canadian or permanent resident, or if you have international credentials, make sure to learn about international requirements
Learn more about this program
If you're interested in this program, you might want to explore other UCalgary programs.