This degree prepares students for a career in the in-demand fields of data science and business analytics. The curriculum was developed collaboratively by the Faculty of Science, Haskayne School of Business, and Cumming School of Medicine to ensure that students are provided with a multidisciplinary education in data science and analytics that leverages the expertise of leading researchers and instructors at the university.
Students will learn the fundamental concepts and tools of data science and analytics, and refine their professional and leadership skills while developing and applying their technical knowledge and abilities. Students will be able to use concepts and tools across multiple contexts, industries, and sectors. Areas of specialization are available in either Data Science, Business Analytics, or Health Data Science and Biostatistics.
Completing this program
- Core Courses: Working with Data and Visualization, Statistical Data Analysis, Statistical Modeling with Data, Big Data Management.
- Four Courses in One Specialization Area: Data Science, Business Analytics, or Health Data Science & Biostatistics
- Integrated Topics in Data Science and Analytics Course
- A Professional or Research Internship
- Business Analytics
- Data Science
- Financial and Energy Markets
- Health Data Science and Biostatistics
Technology sector, business start-ups, computer science research, business analysis, human resources, healthcare, marketing.
This degree will give students the ability to apply core concepts and tools of data thinking to their work in any industry. Data scientists analyze data from across a company, spot trends, and use business acumen to recommend problems to tackle and how to tackle them. These skills will be transferable to many sectors – business, retail, e-commerce, advertising, healthcare, etc.
A course-based degree is usually considered a final degree.