The Certificate in Fundamental Data Science and Analytics introduces students to the tools, techniques, and mindsets necessary to succeed in careers of the future and today’s data-driven world. Designed for working professionals, the curriculum emphasizes collaboration and team building to solve data-driven challenges. Students will learn data-collection and examination techniques, data visualization, statistical and computational analytics, and presentation skills.
Students will build skills that are transferrable across sectors such as business, retail, e-commerce, advertising, and healthcare.
Completing this program
Courses: Students will take courses on data and visualization, statistical data analysis, statistical modelling with data, and big data management.
Technology sector, business start-ups, computer science research, business analysis, human resources, healthcare, marketing.
The Data Science and Analytics Certificate program will provide students with a graduate-level credential. Should students choose to continue their studies, the certificate will also count for credit toward the Data Science and Analytics Diploma program, where students may choose to specialize in business analytics, data science or health data science and biostatistics.
A course-based certificate in Data Science is usually considered a final degree.
A minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
A four year baccalaureate degree, or equivalent from a recognized institution. The successful completion of the following undergraduate courses: computer programming or computer science, statistics or equivalent, and calculus or linear algebra.
In exceptional circumstances, individuals who do not meet formal academic requirements but who have significant life achievement may be considered for admission to this program. Such candidates may also be asked for an in-person interview with the Program Director. Please contact the program for details.
English language proficiency (ELP)
An applicant whose primary language is not English may fulfill the English language proficiency requirement in one of the following ways:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL ibt) score of 86 with no section less than 20 (Internet-based).
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5 with no section less than 6.0 (Academic version).
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 59, or higher (academic version).
- Canadian Academic English Language test (CAEL) score of 70 with no section less than 60.
- Academic Communication Certificate (ACC) score of B+ in each course.
For admission on September 1:
- Canadians and permanent residents: application deadline: April 15
- International students: application deadline: February 1
For admission on January 1:
- Canadians and permanent residents: application deadline: July 15
- International students: application deadline: May 1
Applicants considering applying after the deadline will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about this program
Faculty of Science
University of Calgary
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, AB, T2N 1N4
If you're interested in this program, you might want to explore other UCalgary programs.