The Diploma in Data Science and Analytics offers students the opportunity to advance their careers and gain skills for the new digital economy. Designed for working professionals, the curriculum emphasizes collaboration, experiential learning and team building to solve data-driven challenges.
Students will learn interdisciplinary data collection and examination techniques, data visualization, statistical and computational analytics, presentation skills, and how to apply the fundamental core concepts, and tools of data thinking to their work in any industry or sector.
Completing this program
- Courses: Students will take courses on data and visualization, statistical data analysis, statistical modelling with data, and big data management.
- Specialization: Students will take four courses in their chosen specialization.
- Business Analytics
- Health Data Science and Biostatistics
- Data Science
Technology sector, business start-ups, computer science research, business analysis, human resources, healthcare, marketing.
A diploma in Data Science and Analytics is usually considered a final degree.
A minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
A four year baccalaureate degree, or equivalent from a recognized institution. The successful completion of the following undergraduate courses: computer programming or computer science, statistics or equivalent, and calculus or linear algebra.
In exceptional circumstances, individuals who do not meet formal academic requirements but who have significant life achievement may be considered for admission to this program. Such candidates may also be asked for an in-person interview with the Program Director. Please contact the program for details.
English language proficiency (ELP)
An applicant whose primary language is not English may fulfill the English language proficiency requirement in one of the following ways:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL ibt) score of 86 with no section less than 20 (Internet-based).
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5 with no section less than 6.0 (Academic version).
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 59, or higher (academic version).
- Canadian Academic English Language test (CAEL) score of 70 with no section less than 60.
- Academic Communication Certificate (ACC) score of B+ in each course.
For admission on September 1:
- Canadians and permanent residents: application deadline: April 15
- International students: application deadline: February 1
For admission on January 1:
- Canadians and permanent residents: application deadline: August 16
- International students: application deadline: July 16
Applicants considering applying after the deadline will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about this program
Faculty of Science
University of Calgary
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, AB, T2N 1N4
If you're interested in this program, you might want to explore other UCalgary programs.