The Cumming School of Medicine Precision Health Program was designed to meet the professional development needs of current and future healthcare practitioners across Canada and internationally. This unique program strengthens students’ knowledge and skills in Precision Health and supports role integration in areas such as advanced clinical skills, data science, entrepreneurship, organizational leadership, research, education, professional development, and consultation to impact patient, provider, and health system outcomes.
This new transdisciplinary program will bring together future health care leaders, entrepreneurs, and educators with the goal of improving patient care. The program was built for a broad audience of healthcare professionals, including medicine, veterinary medicine, nursing, pharmacy, psychology, optometry, dentistry, and other professionals who want to advance their careers and assume leadership positions.
Completing this program
- Courses: Students will take courses from Health System Leadership, Managing Complex Projects in Precision Health, Ethics and Law in Precision Health (if not previously completed) and one or two electives of your choice (four courses in total).
- Sex and Gender Training Module: Students are required to take the module that is most relevant to their research or program.
- Precision Medicine Specialization: Completion of the certificate in Precision Medicine will enable graduates to engage directly with the use of high-level molecular tools, including genome sequencing and assessment, in a clinical context. They will be uniquely positioned to bring cutting edge tools to bear in an ethical and responsible manner.
- Quality and Safety Leadership: Graduates of the certificate in Quality and Safety Leadership will be able to conduct research, education, and direct practice in health quality and safety. This emerging area of focus will allow graduates to bring tools that improve patient outcomes, experience, and the cost-effectiveness of their clinical practice.
- Health Professions Education Leadership: Completion of the certificate in this specialization would position graduates to take on leadership roles in designing and delivering curriculum for health professionals, with a particular focus on precision health.
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Potential outcomes include business analyst, product manager, program manager, enterprise services development manager, product technical specialist, business capability analyst, project manager, project coordinator, implementation analyst.
A course-based diploma in Precision Health is usually considered a final credential.
Completion of the University of Calgary Graduate Certificate in Precision Health with a GPA of 3.30 or higher.
A four-year baccalaureate degree from a recognized institution in a health-related discipline and completion of the University of Calgary Graduate Certificate in Precision Health.
A current curriculum vitae
English language proficiency
An applicant whose primary language is not English may fulfill the English language proficiency requirement in one of the following ways:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 105.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 7.5.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 75, or higher (Academic version).
- Canadian Academic English Language test (CAEL) score of 70 with no section less than 70.
- Academic Communication Certificate (ACC) score of A- in each course.
For admission on September 1
Canadians and permanent residents:
- April 15 application deadline
- April 15 application deadline
If you're interested in this program, you might want to explore other UCalgary programs.