The Master of Pathologists’ Assistant program is a course-based professional master’s degree that can lead to direct employment within a pathology laboratory as a Pathologists’ Assistant. Our program is one of two NAACLS accredited programs offered in Canada; this allows our graduates to qualify for the ASCP and CCCPA examinations required to apply for jobs across North America. Through hands on experience in high paced medical laboratories students learn to perform tasks, such as the dissection of surgical specimens and autopsies, under the direct supervision of a Pathologist. Attention to detail, problem solving and collaborative skills are essential to successful completion of the course-based program.
Completing this program
- Course topics may include systems pathology, human anatomy, human pathology, human histology, surgical pathology practicum and more.
Graduates of this program go on to careers in healthcare, medical laboratories, laboratory management, pathology and forensic pathology.
A course-based master’s degree in pathologists assistant is usually considered a final degree.
A minimum of 3.3 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
A BSc in Biological Sciences or equivalent.
A current C.V.
English language proficiency
An applicant whose primary language is not English may fulfill the English language proficiency requirement in one of the following ways:
- TOEFL score of 105 (Internet-based). Our institution code is 0813.
- IELTS score of 7.5 (Academic version).
- MELAB score of 86, or higher.
- PTE score of 75, or higher (Academic version).
- Tier 3 of the International Foundations Program with minimum grades of A,A,A (Writing & Grammar, Reading Comprehension, Listening Comprehension & Oral Fluency).
For admission on September 1:
- Canadians and permanent residents: March 30 application deadline
- International students: March 30 application deadline
Learn more about this program
Cumming School of Medicine
Health Sciences Centre
Foothills Campus, University of Calgary
Calgary, AB T2N 4N1