Financing grad school

Before starting your graduate program, make sure you understand your tuition and general fees, and learn which awards you are eligible for.

General fees

All students pay the same general fees. Most of these are due on a per-term basis while other fees are due annually.

Yearly fees

Include the Graduate Students’ Association membership, Group insurance, Extended Health Insurance/Dental Insurance and Graduate Bursary Donation.

Learn more

Per-term fees

Include the costs for UPASS, Athletics, Campus Recreation and Student Services.

Learn more

Tuition fees

Thesis-based programs

Students in a thesis-based degree (master’s or doctoral) program pay annual tuition fees.

Learn more

Course-based programs

Students in most course-based master’s programs pay tuition fees on a per-course basis. 

Learn more

Program-specific fees

Some course-based programs may charge additional program fees, or use a program-specific fee structure.

Learn more

How do I pay?

Students can pay via:

Online banking, international funds transfer, cheque, money order or bank draft, and In person (debit).

Visit the registrar

Payment plan

The Graduate Student Payment Plan is available to eligible graduate students who wish to spread their fee payments over a specified period of time.

Learn more

How do I fund graduate school?


Full-time students registered in a graduate degree program at the university are eligible for awards and financial assistance. There are also select awards available for prospective students. You are encouraged to apply for awards at the same time you apply to become a graduate student at the University of Calgary. All you need is your UCalgary student number (UCID). You are not required to meet the eligibility requirements in the terms of reference of an award when you apply, but if successful, you must meet the eligibility requirements at the time the award is paid.

Learn about applying for awards

Student loans

Government student assistance programs (student loans) are available to Canadian citizens, permanent residents, protected persons and American citizens.

View student loan options

Third-party funding

Highly competitive awards are available through external agencies and Canadian and international governments. If you are an international student, check with your home government for funding options.

View third-party funding information


You may be able to fund your own studies by saving enough to cover tuition and fees ahead of time, or by enrolling part-time while you work outside of the university.

Funding sources

Most thesis-based graduate programs provide funding for students in the first two years of a Master’s degree and the first four of a PhD. More information is available from the program.

We also have a listing of external awards organized by subject to help you find the award that fits your research or study area.

There are several funding opportunities available for Indigenous graduate applicants available through the Faculty of Graduate Studies.

Each year, most faculties have several graduate teaching and research assistantships available for students. Contact your program for information about eligibility, application deadlines and procedures.

The Faculty of Graduate Studies administers a wide variety of award competitions funded from a variety of sources, allowing students to focus on their research. It’s important to apply for funding as early as possible.

Ready for graduate study at UCalgary? Explore programs