Hire a grad student
Invest in a graduate student and tap into the talent of tomorrow’s leaders and innovators
What makes graduate students different?
Graduate students are the engine driving advanced research and discovery. They are self-starters who take extraordinary academic performance to the next level.
Creative, self-directed and highly adaptable, graduate students are set apart by their disciplined curiosity in seeking practical solutions to critical questions.
Why hire a grad student intern?
How do you get help with big projects or other temporary staffing needs? Short-term hires are tricky. Onboarding time cuts into productivity, limiting the value that interns bring.
Grad student interns are different. They are ready to ignite change with fresh thinking. They are quick to onboard, and have skills and experience to hit the ground running. Their discipline lets them help move your business ahead without you committing to a permanent hire.
What can graduate students bring to your organization?
- Creativity in problem solving
- Critical thinking and analysis
- A high degree of adaptability
- Quick learning
- Experience that accelerates onboarding
- Self-direction & proven work ethic
- Leadership, maturity and personal responsibility
- Superb communication skills
- Growing subject matter expertise
- High-level transferable skills
If you have an open internship position, you can post the job description for free on the Graduate Student CareerLink Portal if it meets the Transformative Talent Internship requirements.
To be approved as a Transformative Talent Internship, an internship opportunity must:
- Provide meaningful work experience
- Include a mentor at the internship organization to provide guidance and feedback during the internship
- Use and develop research and professional skills
- Not be solely research-focused
- Be full-time or part-time
- Be a minimum of 240 hours, maximum 8 months full-time (12 months part-time)
Before the internship
- Provide the graduate student with a position profile
- Provide My GradSkills with the intern’s anticipated work hours and financial support
During the internship
- Meet regularly with the intern
- Provide oversight and feedback to the intern
At the end of the internship
- Provide My GradSkills with a brief report on what the intern learned and how they brought value to your organization
- Provide a final review and feedback to the intern
We’re here to help you navigate the internship process
Our Business Development Specialist Natalie Houghton-Wilkinson is here to help with all of your TTI needs. Natalie can assist you in preparing an internship opportunity. She can also help connect you with graduate student talent.