COVID-19 and Graduate Program Admissions
Learn about changes to GPA calculations and English Language Proficiency (ELP) testing that may help you as you prepare to apply for graduate studies at UCalgary.
The following temporary changes are being adopted by the University of Calgary's Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS) in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. These changes are intended to:
- Clarify how grade point averages (GPA) will be calculated for students who have opted for non-letter final grades (i.e., Completed Requirements/Fail or CR/F) for their courses as a result of COVID-19 disruptions.
- Provide online options for international students who must satisfy English Language Proficiency requirements.
If you have any questions about the following information, please contact FGS by email: email@example.com
Temporary changes to GPA calculations
Students taking courses at the University of Calgary have the option of keeping the letter grade or taking a CR/F designation for one single course in the Fall 2020 term.
- An undergraduate course designated as CR/F will not be included in the student's GPA calculation.
- For a single graduate course in which a grade of B- or above is achieved, graduate students can request a CR designation in place of the letter grade on their transcript. CR grades are not included in GPA calculations; however, failing grades (C+ and below) will remain unchanged and will be used in GPA calculations.
The following methods will be used to assess applications for the Winter/Spring/Summer 2021 term admissions:
A non-letter graded prerequisite taken in a COVID-affected term (Winter 2020, Spring 2020, Summer 2020 and Fall 2020) where CR has been achieved will be accepted as meeting the prerequisite for admission.
The GPA calculation used for minimum-required GPA for entry into graduate programs will be the highest number from the following calculations:
For Undergraduate Transcripts:
All graded courses over the last two to three years of the undergraduate degree consisting of a minimum of 60 units**.
All graded courses over the last two to three years of the undergraduate degree consisting of a minimum of 60 units with the complete exclusion of COVID-affected terms (Winter 2020, Spring 2020, Summer 2020 and Fall 2020).
All graded courses over the last two to three years of the undergraduate degree consisting of a minimum of 60 units minus the number of CR units taken during COVID-affected terms (Winter 2020, Spring 2020, Summer 2020 and Fall 2020). (Example: if a total of 15 units were awarded a grade of CR in these terms, the GPA would be calculated based on a minimum of 45 units of graded courses).
For Graduate Transcripts:
- All graded courses in the graduate degree**.
- All graded courses in the graduate degree with the complete exclusion of COVID-affected terms (Winter 2020, Spring 2020, Summer 2020 and Fall 2020).
**Current standard practice for calculation of GPA for graduate admission.
Temporary changes to English Language Proficiency (ELP) testing
We understand that many international applicants are unable to register for tests like IELTS and TOEFL, as in-person testing centres are suspending test registration due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
On a temporary basis, the University of Calgary will accept both the Duolingo English Test and the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition specifically for admission to graduate programs with start dates through Summer 2022.
- TOEFL iBT should be used as the preferred test in any country where it is available.
- Please follow the link below for a temporary score equivalency table that includes the Duolingo and TOEFL iBT tests.