The Bridge to Teaching program provides a route for passionate and experienced foreign-trained teachers to gain the training required to transfer their skills and begin working in Alberta's schools. The program offers intensive and accelerated learning in education: participants learn to teach the Alberta Program of Studies in ways that engage students, and gain insights into assessing student progress in fair, formative and summative ways. The program also explores how expectations of teachers vary between Alberta and other jurisdictions and countries. Offered full time over one year, the program includes two school-based practicums.
Completing this program
- Courses: Special Topics in Education courses are designed to prepare foreign-prepared teachers to meet Alberta certification requirements.
- Practicum: Students will participate in a field work practicum.
Alberta Teacher certification, K-12 Teacher.
A minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
A four year baccalaureate degree, or equivalent from a recognized institution.
- One official transcript from all post-secondary institutions attended
- A letter from an evaluator at Alberta Education’s Professional Standards Branch
For further information, go to alberta.ca/teaching-in-alberta.aspx.
Statement of intent
A written 300-word statement of intent that includes answers to the following questions:
- Please identify your reasons for applying to the Bridge to Teaching program.
- In what way is this program related to your desired career path or employment objectives?
A successful interview with the Program Co-ordinator for Bridge to Teaching is required.
Applicants must also complete a Police Information Check (PIC). More information, here: werklund.ucalgary.ca/gpe/bridge-teaching.
English language proficiency
An applicant whose primary language is not English may fulfill the English language proficiency requirement in one of the following ways:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL ibt) score of 97.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 7.0.
- Canadian Academic English Language test (CAEL) score of 70 (no less than 70 in each section).
- Academic Communication Certificate (ACC) score of A- in each course.
For admission on September 1:
- Canadians and permanent residents: May 1 application deadline
Learn more about this program
Werklund School of Education
University of Calgary
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, AB, T2N 1N4