COVID-19 and graduate students

Frequently Asked Questions for students in the Faculty of Graduate Studies 

Updated October 2021.

Additional information for international students, including details on travelling to Canada to study, is available from International Student Services. University of Calgary quarantine information is available here.

  1. Tuition and fees for international students

    I am an international student and am not yet on campus. How can I pay my tuition and fees or per-course fees?

    • All graduate students can pay their fees through on-line banking. International students also have the option of paying by credit card. Learn more here.
    • CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce) offers CIBC Student Pay, which provides another online option for both course and thesis-based students. Currently, this payment method is only available to international students. Learn more about CIBC Student Pay here.
    • Thesis-based students who are fully funded by their program and cannot be on campus, will normally have their fees automatically paid by their program.
  2. Funding and scholarships for international students

    I am a continuing international graduate student and am not on campus. Will I still receive funding and/or scholarships? 

    • Yes. Funding and/or scholarships will be paid out if you are not on campus.  

    I am a new international graduate student starting my program remotely from my country of residence. Will I still receive funding and/or scholarships? 

    • International students who are registered in a graduate program but are not in Canada due to COVID-19 travel restrictions are eligible to receive their guaranteed program funding and/or competitive scholarship funding while in their home country.  

     Information about your funding payments:   

    • Funding will be paid directly to your tuition account.  

    • Any credit accrued in the account will apply to future charges.  

    • Once you are in Canada, have opened a Canadian bank account and notified the Faculty of Graduate Studies, payments will be made to your Canadian bank account.  

    • Payment of this funding is conditional on you making academic progress while in your home country.  

    • If you cannot proceed unless your funding comes to you directly, you may defer or decline admission. Please contact your program to discuss these options. 

  1. Fall 2021/Winter 2022

    I am uncomfortable being on campus, or am unable to travel to Calgary to start my program. Can I defer my program start date?

    • Please contact your program. In most cases, deferral is an option but please be aware that deferring your program may impact your funding/scholarships. 
    • Some programs follow a cohort-based model, which may restrict your options for a deferred start date. 
    • If you are a current student, you also have the choice of taking a leave of absence or withdrawing from your program. 
    • Deferral may also carry the risk, though slight, of losing your admission due to unexpected changes in budget or supervision resources.
  1. Remote program delivery

    What will my upcoming classes/academic program look like, and how can I complete lab/field components of my program?

    • Faculties will determine the format (online, on campus, blended) and scheduling of different course components (lectures, labs, tutorials). Contact your program for the most current information on your course formats. For more information about online courses, please visit the university's Fall 2021 term FAQ.
  2. Fall 2021 course delivery

    Will courses be delivered live in Fall 2021 and Winter 2022?

    • Most courses are in-person for Fall 2021, and we anticipate that most courses in Winter 2022 will also be in person. See the university's Fall 2021 term FAQ for more information.
  1. In person exams (Field of Study, thesis defence)

    Can I undergo exams in person during the pandemic?

  2. Remote exam support

    I don't have access to a stable or reliable internet connection. how will the university support me taking my exam remotely?

    • The Taylor Family Digital Library has space available for graduate students who require a stable internet connection for conducting a remote exam. Learn more.

    Is there technical support for Zoom meeting arrangements?

  1. Office of the Registrar

    Contact the Registrar's office for information about the university's emergency financial assistance program. To qualify, you must :

    • Be enrolled and attending the university
    • Demonstrate financial resources and have a plan for how to repay the loan
    • Not have overdue fees or fines.
    • Have used all available assets and resources to support your education prior to applying for an emergency loan.
  2. GSA bursaries

    The Graduate Students' Association offers bursaries to help ease financial strain faced by GSA members. The bursary program is available in the Fall and Winter terms. Applications are only accepted within specific periods. Learn more on the GSA website.